From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Java 8 and remote access
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 16:30:40
1 >> >> I need to run a Java 8 app remotely. Can this be done on Gentoo?
2 >> >
3 >> >
4 >> > Actually I could run the app locally if there is a good way to run
5 >> > relatively untrusted Java apps. Otherwise I should run it remotely.
6 >> >
7 >>
8 >> What exactly do you mean by "run remotely"? Ssh to run on a different
9 >> host, container/vm to run locally are all viable options but I don't
10 >> quite understand what you're asking.
11 >
12 > Heck, since java is already running on the jVM I would even consider it
13 > safe enough to just run as a different user or just in a chroot.
14 >
15 > In any case, none of this is gentoo specific.
18 Sorry, I should have been more specific. I want to run a desktop Java
19 8 app remotely. After more consideration I don't want to run it
20 locally because I want it to run all the time. I have 2 ideas for
21 this:
22
23 1. set up a Gentoo install in a cloud VM, install the desktop app,
24 install VNC or similar
25 2. leverage a Platform as a service (PaaS) somehow
26
27 #1 should work but I'd rather not set up and maintain an OS instance
28 just for this. Would VNC be the best way to get remote access to the
29 desktop app's GUI? I don't need extremely high performance but
30 security and ease of setup/maintenance are important.
31
32 #2 is very appealing because it means I wouldn't have to set up and
33 maintain an OS, but I don't have any experience with PaaS and maybe it
34 isn't the right tool for this. Does there exist a PaaS that provides
35 a Java environment for me to install a desktop Java app and then give
36 me remote control of its GUI?
37
38 - Grant