From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: is "scp" reliable?
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:22:35
1 On 6/1/21 9:57 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2021-05-29, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Different revisions of md5sum possibly?
5 >
6 > No, not unless md5sum is seriosly and fatally broken.
7 >
8 > MD5 is MD5.
9 >
10 > The entire point of a hash algorithm is that it's precisely and
11 > completely defined and the answer never varies from one implementation
12 > to another.
13
14 It was a problem with memory module, I did not run memory test after assembling the PC (should have), so the Gentoo install OK, transferring standard (small files) md5sum check OK; but on larger files eg. 28GB scp, rysnc, md5sum all fail.
15 Running memory test give me nothing but errors, swapping the memory stick from a good PC solved the problem.