From: Erik <esigra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] (II) NV(0): Setting screen physical size to 508 x 317
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:14:17
1 The problem is this line in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
2 (II) NV(0): Setting screen physical size to 508 x 317
3
4 I have measured the screen and it is actually (approximately) 368 × 230.
5 This error causes fonts to be shown in the wrong size (too small). I
6 think that the fonts became smaller after some upgrade during the last
7 few months. I do not know if it was correct before that or if it was
8 just wrong in a different way. I tried to tell it the correct values in
9 /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
10 Section "Monitor"
11 Identifier "Monitor"
12 DisplaySize 368 230
13 EndSection
14
15 Section "Screen"
16 Identifier "Screen"
17 Monitor "Monitor"
18 EndSection
19
20 It is read without problems:
21 (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
22 (==) No Layout section. Using the first Screen section.
23 (**) |-->Screen "Screen" (0)
24 (**) | |-->Monitor "Monitor"
25
26 But then it sets the wrong physical size anyway! Is there anything to do
27 besides reporting a bug and waiting?
28
29 (There are other issues with this video device; it shows only 25 × 80
30 characters in the virtual terminals (should be 75 × 240). This is the
31 new Dell vostro|1720 from November, that replaced the old INSPIRON|8600
32 aquired 5 years earlier, with radeon driver. That old device worked fine
33 without any configuration files. The physical screen size was detected
34 and the virtual kernel output switched to 75 × 240 characters as soon as
35 the device was detected.)