From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Courier Sub-addressing
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 20:11:27
On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 04:17:24PM +0100, antlists wrote:
> If I understand what you are attempting correctly (not a given!) then what > you are trying won't work. You're confusing multiple *folders* with multiple > *users*.
Sorry, my original e-mail was quite nondescript. Consider that I have a few folders in my INBOX maildir, created with maildirmake(1) -f: Sent, Trash, Drafts, AcademicMatters, etc. Should an e-mail be sent to ash+AcademicMatters@××××××××××.uk, it should automatically be redirected into the appropriate sub-maildir. As the AcademicMatters folder is a folder inside the `ash` maildir, there is only a single user involved, with multiple folders.
> This is, I believe, an RFC so Courier is simply implementing the spec. > That's probably why there is precious little Courier reference material, it > assumes you have the RFC to hand ...
It seems like sub-addressing is defined in #5233 [1]. Further discussion specific to the Sieve language is found in #5228 [2]. It seems like, to use the example in [1], an e-mail addressed to `ken+sieve@×××××××.org` is sent to the mailbox `sieve` belonging to `ken`. In my case, this would be sending mail to the `AcademicMatters` mailbox owned by `ash`.
> I don't know what happens with your "-" example, but it just looks wrong to > me.
In my original message, I complained that the server was throwing out an error stating that the corresponding entry could not be found in the virtual users table. It seems like the `recipient_delimiter` attribute in Postfix's main.cf can specify an arbitrary delimiter, so a plus, hyphen, or any other legal character can be used to denote the sub-address. With `recipient_delimiter = +`, e-mail sent to ash+*@suugaku.co.uk now ends up in my inbox. To inspect the text after the delimiter and move it to the correct folder accordingly is a job for Courier's `maildrop`, I suspect.
I don't really understand this sentence, sorry. How can a user account called `ash` also be called `AcademicMatters` ? `AcademicMatters` is a subdirectory inside the `ash` user's inbox. On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 08:52:23AM -0400, james wrote:
> Yes, but with mail-client/Thunderbird. The tricks (with thunderbird) are > mostly related to how you set up your filters, and the order of the filters.
I would rather do this on the server, as I access my e-mail from various machines, many of which are not listening for mail constantly. I also dislike Thunderbird as I find it too heavy for a mail client; (Neo)Mutt has served me well for a long time.
> Do post your findings, as I'm sure others would appreciate a robust (gentoo) > solution, particularly if the feature list supports cell phones (android > and/or apple cell phones) and those text/emails.
I think the problem you're posing is a very different one to mine: I am only concerned with filtering e-mail to particular folders based on the address to which the mail was sent. Your problem seems to be far more generalised and large-scale. [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5233 [2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5228 -- Ashley Dixon suugaku.co.uk 2A9A 4117 DA96 D18A 8A7B B0D2 A30E BF25 F290 A8AA