From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Courier Sub-addressing
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 20:11:27
1 On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 04:17:24PM +0100, antlists wrote:
2 > If I understand what you are attempting correctly (not a given!) then what
3 > you are trying won't work. You're confusing multiple *folders* with multiple
4 > *users*.
5
6 Sorry, my original e-mail was quite nondescript. Consider that I have a few
7 folders in my INBOX maildir, created with maildirmake(1) -f: Sent, Trash,
8 Drafts, AcademicMatters, etc.
9
10 Should an e-mail be sent to ash+AcademicMatters@××××××××××.uk, it should
11 automatically be redirected into the appropriate sub-maildir. As the
12 AcademicMatters folder is a folder inside the `ash` maildir, there is only a
13 single user involved, with multiple folders.
14
15 > This is, I believe, an RFC so Courier is simply implementing the spec.
16 > That's probably why there is precious little Courier reference material, it
17 > assumes you have the RFC to hand ...
18
19 It seems like sub-addressing is defined in #5233 [1]. Further discussion
20 specific to the Sieve language is found in #5228 [2]. It seems like, to use the
21 example in [1], an e-mail addressed to `ken+sieve@×××××××.org` is sent to the
22 mailbox `sieve` belonging to `ken`. In my case, this would be sending mail to
23 the `AcademicMatters` mailbox owned by `ash`.
24
25 > I don't know what happens with your "-" example, but it just looks wrong to
26 > me.
27
28 In my original message, I complained that the server was throwing out an error
29 stating that the corresponding entry could not be found in the virtual users
30 table. It seems like the `recipient_delimiter` attribute in Postfix's main.cf
31 can specify an arbitrary delimiter, so a plus, hyphen, or any other legal
32 character can be used to denote the sub-address.
33
34 With `recipient_delimiter = +`, e-mail sent to ash+*@suugaku.co.uk now ends up
35 in my inbox. To inspect the text after the delimiter and move it to the correct
36 folder accordingly is a job for Courier's `maildrop`, I suspect.
37
38 > It should be looking for an AcademicMatters POP account, and then
39 > delivering the mail to a user account called ash on the server called
40 > AcademicMatters.
41
42 I don't really understand this sentence, sorry. How can a user account called
43 `ash` also be called `AcademicMatters` ? `AcademicMatters` is a subdirectory
44 inside the `ash` user's inbox.
45