From: Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which Laptop is recommended for Gentoo GNU/Linux?
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 22:40:09
1 On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > On 1/8/07, Nelson, David (ED, PAR&D) <David.Nelson2@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > I would add that I haven't got my SD card reader on my HP DV8000 series
5 > > to work in Linux.
6 >
7 > Last time I investigated this for my Dell, built-in media readers
8 > unusable under Linux on all laptops, as they are all made by Ricoh,
9 > who refuses to release any programming specs to allow someone to make
10 > a driver. We need some competition on this component I think...
11
12 The Ricoh SD card reader on my laptop works fine with the sdhci driver.
13 The only oddity is that the mmc-block driver doesn't have sysfs support,
14 so udev doesn't create the device nodes. As far as I can tell, Ricoh
15 doesn't release programming specs, but they seem to make devices that
16 don't need vendor-specific drivers when possible. So we don't find out
17 about their errata, but they may well never actually notice the quirks in
18 the first place.
19
20 -Daniel
21 *This .sig left intentionally blank*