From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia-drivers stopped working
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 23:18:16
1 On Sonntag, 5. August 2007, Ernie Schroder wrote:
2 > On Sunday 05 August 2007, a tiny voice compelled Volker Armin Hemmann to
3 >
4 > write:
5 > > On Sonntag, 5. August 2007, Ernie Schroder wrote:
6 > > > A few days ago I ran my updates and nvidia-settings was updated to
7 > > > 1.0.20070302 All was good until last night. I openen konqueror to
8 > > > browse my home dir and I got a mime-type error and no files displayed.
9 > > > Trying to do konqueror /home/ernie gave me errors that I can't quote
10 > > > but mime types was mentioned again. Assuming that something was just
11 > > > hung up I did top which showed X using 95% cpu Killing java_vm,
12 > > > firefox, kmail and any suspected cpu hogs had no effect so I killed X
13 > > > and attempted to restart it.
14 > >
15 > > 'suspected'? ps aux, and/or (h)top should show you the hog.
16 >
17 > only "X" showed high cpu usage. No associated apps were above what I'm used
18 > to seeing.
19 >
20 > > > nvidia-drivers is currently at 100.14.09. I need advice getting this
21 > > > straight. Is there a file where nvidia-settings keeps config
22 > >
23 > > ~/.nvidia-settings-rc
24 >
25 > showed the file was generated back in 2004 and hasn't been modified since
26 > 7/2/04
27
28 so what? maybe the latest nvidia-settings does not like the old file? You can
29 just move it someone and try...
32 > > > data other
33 > > > than xorg.conf? should I update to the masked nvidia-drivers-100.14.11
34 > > > ?
35 > >
36 > > yes.
37 >
38 > NO! The newer drivers build but warn of MTRR support lacking on my card.
39
40 and you have checked that you have mtrr support in the kernel?
41
42 > Funny I thought that it was there. It's a gforce4 ti 4200.
43 > I had to revert to nvidia-drivers-1.0.9639. I guess the drivers got updated
44 > in a previous update and I missed the warnings. Funny it worked for over a
45 > week.
46
47 emm, you might want to look up about 'legacy drivers' and 'supported cards'.
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list