From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /boot filesystem, SSDs, TRIM
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 04:23:50
1 On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 01:58:19PM +1000, Adam Carter wrote
2 > For a long time people recommended ext2 for /boot. The Gentoo wiki still
3 > does. Is there any compelling reason to use ext2 for /boot (on a system
4 > whose other filesystems are ext4) these days? AFAIK for systems that have
5 > /boot on an SSD, ext4 makes more sense due to discard support, and for
6 > non-SSD it doesn't matter either way. Have I missed something?
7
8 How often are you writing to /boot anyways? Journalling is of little
9 benefit in that case, and imposes more wear+tear on SSD drives. Or is
10 it possible to turn off journaling for one partition under ext4?
13 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
14 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications