From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge world looking grim
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 13:59:30
1 On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 9:39 AM, Alec Ten Harmsel
2 <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 09:35:36AM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> writes:
5 >>
6 >> > I'd recommend you then just to reinstall. Remembering my fights with
7 >> > stupid error messages from emerge, and so on, I wish I'd just
8 >> > reinstalled months earlier than I did.
9 >>
10 >> Thanks for the frank suggestions and noted lack unix hero
11 >> talk... hehe.
12 >
13 > I personally think that updating glibc and gcc, then continuing with the
14 > rest of the system update is the easiest path forward. You won't lose
15 > your portage config, it will probably be a little bit faster, and it
16 > requires a lot less manual intervention (running a handful of commands
17 > vs. following the handbook)..
20 Agree. I probably get update issues of this complexity at least
21 annually. I couldn't tell you when I installed my stage3 on this box,
22 but it was a LONG time ago and I'm constantly cleaning up /etc cruft
23 from things being moved around.
24
25 I would not rush to just reinstall a gentoo box unless you get really
26 stuck, or this is part of a configuration management workflow (which I
27 fully encourage - there is something to be said for blowing away your
28 install and reinstalling every time you do a package update, just to
29 demonstrate that you're able to do it from a disaster-recovery
30 standpoint).
33 Rich