From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Purging Gnome from the system
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:06:26
1 Hi,
2
3 I decided to purge Gnome from my system as I seldom run it. A
4 quick look in the gnome ebuild shows that it's a
5 ginormous -meta package, meaning I have some work ahead of me.
6
7 First I updated USE and removed gnome, gstreamer and other
8 gnome-related flags. I left gtk in for the likes of gimp which
9 I do use. Then manually unmerged a ton of gnome packages,
10 intending to finish up with 'emerge --depclean'
11 and 'revdep-rebuild' to fix the mistakes I'd made.
12
13 Imagine my surprise when remerging openoffice wants to pull in
14 half of gnome again. I can understand it needs gtk, I do not
15 understand why it wants evolution-data-server, gconf and
16 gnome-panel.
17
18 I know how to fix this, that's not my question. My question is
19 why on earth does an office suite depend on half a desktop
20 environment? And is there a (relatively) easy way to get my
21 system back to the state it would be in if I had always
22 had -gnome in USE all along?
23
24 alan
25 --