From: YoYo siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xinerama vs TwinView for dual monitor setup
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 15:27:30
1 On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 11:34:10PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > My notebook has this graphics hardware.
5 >
6 > alan@nazgul ~ $ sudo lspci | grep VGA
7 > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600M GT (rev
8 > a1)
9 > alan@nazgul ~ $ sudo xdpyinfo | grep -A4 'screen #0'
10 > screen #0:
11 > print screen: no
12 > dimensions: 1920x1200 pixels (332x210 millimeters)
13 > resolution: 147x145 dots per inch
14 > depths (7): 24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
15 >
16 > I also have a second LCD monitor at work, a 1280x1024 that is physically
17 > slightly larger than the notebook screen, with a corresponding lower dpi.
18 >
19 > I've configured it with TwinView to have the second monitor on the right, and
20 > how I usually use it is to put a user's support mail on that where I can read
21 > it and fix their issues using the tools on the main monitor. So it's a very
22 > unsophisticated setup, I have no need for massive 3D accel for eg games, or
23 > even for placing windows across two monitors. Windows are always on one
24 > screen or the other (because of the huge dpi difference). There are two
25 > smallish issues:
26 >
27 > The viewports are aligned along the top edge and the
28 > panel/kicker/plasma/whatever on every desktop environment insists on trying
29 > to stretch across both monitors, into dead space on the right hand one. I'm
30 > getting use to right-click on panel, configure, set width to 57% at work,
31 > 100% at home. If I align the viewports on the bottom edges, windows managers
32 > tend to want to position new windows with their title bars in the dead space
33 > at the top.
34
35 You probably haven't emerged the applications with Xinerama support.
36 This is especially true for kde 3. Twinview uses the xinerama protocol
37 (well,its an extension of the X protocol... ;) to inform applications
38 about the layout of monitors.
39 >
40 > kdm and entrance want to stretch over both monitors. I definitely do not want
41 > this. Murphy dictates that all useful DM menus will end up in the dead space
42 > regardless of the theme I use <grrrr>
43 >
44 > My research into nvidia's docs leads me to believe that TwinView is designed
45 > to make the presence of two physical monitors invisible and present one giant
46 > X screen, with a funky API for dead spaces (which may or may not work). I'm
47 > thinking Xinerama is the better option, despite the fact that it's old,
48 > clunky, hopeless at dealing with XRandR and can't be changed on the fly. I'm
49 > happy to set up two ServerLayouts to deal with this.
50
51 As I said, twinview uses the xinerama protocol to inform apps about the
52 monitors, so there wouldn't be any difference in the way applications
53 behave. You would only loose the advantages of twinview (you can look
54 at it as an enhanced, nvidia only, in-driver version of xinerama)
55
56 Even xrandr 1.2 provides xinerama style info for the applications, so
57 you certainly want your application to be compiled with xinerama
58 support, independently of the way you set up the X server.
59
60 BTW in my experince kde compiled without xinerama supp. handles multiple
61 (independent) screens O, but not xinerama (well, that could be
62 expected), and with xinerama support it handles xinerama ok, but fails
63 with independent screen ;)
64
65 > I'd appreciate some pros and cons feedback from the list before I embark on a
66 > huge emerge -e world to include Xinerama support.
67 >
68 > --
69 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
73 yoyo