From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE-meta 4.2 upgrade
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:07:10
1 On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:29 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 >
4 > Volker and Alan,
5 >
6 >> Finally, try to use sets if possible. The split -meta ebuilds were an ugly
7 >> hack until sets made it into portage. They were orders of magnitude better
8 >> than monolithic, but sets are just so much cleaner than -meta. Plus you get
9 >> to easily define what's in a set if the standard ones don't suit your needs.
12 > OK, I got it, use SETS instead of kde-meta.
13 > Where do I read up on using SETS?
14 >
15 > I see "set" in the emerge manpage, but it seem, brief.
16 > How do you use the default "sets" when upgrading to
17 > kde-4.2.x?
18
19 Basically, sets start with @ and you would just emerge like a meta,
20 emerge @kde-4.2 (or whatever). You can do "emerge --list-sets" to see
21 which are available to you. Rather than being meta listed in
22 /var/lib/portage/world the sets will be listed in
23 /var/lib/portage/world_sets
24
25 You can make your own sets ("my stuff" or something) and it makes it
26 easy to get all of your favorite/required packages when setting up a
27 new system. Just emerge your set and voila :)
28
29 The set files are simple, just a text file with a list of package
30 names inside. You can put your custom sets in /etc/portage/sets I
31 believe. Overlays can have their own sets (kde-testing has a million
32 of them).
33
34 Lastly, I think you need to be using portage 2.2 in order to have
35 sets. I'm not sure what version is stable or whatever. I just unmasked
36 all portage so I'm using whatever the latest one is in the tree.