From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 08:10:40
1 Philip,
2
3 On Wednesday, 2021-08-04 07:57:06 -0400, you wrote:
4
5 > ...
6 > Why not write the output to a file ? -- eg
7 > 'emerge --ask --depclean > <temporaryfilename>'.
8 > Then you can look at the output at leisure, even on another machine.
9
10 Depending on the number of packages you've installed and depending on
11 the speed of your rig "emerge --depclean" may take some time, and thus I
12 tried to avoid splitting it into two calls, one to just announce what
13 would be done and one to really do it.
14
15 But meanwhile I'm suspecting that any call along the lines of
16
17 # emerge --ask ... | $PAGER
18
19 is doomed to fail because both, "emerge" and the pager are trying to
20 read the user's answer from the same input device (maybe "/dev/tty") and
21 thus both are stumbling over the other's feet. The only way out would
22 be just another option causing "emerge" to page internally.
23
24 Therefore my "edepclean" alias now calls "emerge" twice, like so:
25
26 # emerge --depclean --pretend | $PAGER
27 # emerge --depclean -- ask --quiet
28
29 Sincerely,
30 Rainer