From: Jens Reinemuth <jens@×××××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gentoo as wlan-repeater...
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:34:44
1 Hi list,
2
3 i currently live in an appartment that has a very lousy
4 wlan-access-point for the people. There is an AP with dd-wrt and
5 WPA2-PSK... currently i only have wlan at the window in the kitchen and
6 my gentoo-pc which stands about 5m away from that does not even see the
7 ap while scanning.
8
9 As i also have a gentoo netbook, i thought about using this one as a
10 kind of repeater for the wlan.
11
12 Both have ath5k-cards, on the netbook i use wicd (as it changes the
13 networks more often...) on the PC i hardcoded the access-data in
14 wpa_supplicant.conf (as the ath5k is kind of "interim-solution" until
15 our house is built and i will have real wired network there)
16
17 Has anyone allready set up something like that? Which settings are
18 necessary, is the ath5k able to be used as repeater (as it has to be
19 client and ap at once...)?
20
21 The alternatives are a old Fritzbox 7140, a Netgear router and 2
22 Fonera-Boxes (which all are packed in boxes and wait until the house is
23 ready).
24
25 So i really would prefer the solution with using the gentoo-netbook
26 instead of the routers...
27
28 Regards,
29