From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dependencies - one more mystery novel
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:13:11
1 On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Helmut Jarausch
2 <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Upgrading to media-libs/jpeg-8
4 > poses a new level of difficulty (to me).
5 >
6 > I cannot use emerge @preserved-rebuild since I still
7 > have kde-3 packages and still have problems with the
8 > kde-sunset overlay which I have to resolve lateron.
9
10 The good thing about the @preserved-rebuild system is that it keeps
11 the old .so until all programs stop needing it. In other words, your
12 system should continue to function properly and you don't need to be
13 in a hurry to rebuild those packages that depend on jpeg-7. Once you
14 fix your KDE problem and have emerge working normally again, then you
15 can emerge @preserved-rebuild and get rid of dependencies on the old
16 libjpeg.