From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Separate /usr [was: Clock is way off]
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 08:40:35
1 Hello Alan McKinnon,
2
3 > I never understood why portage on a sparse file is beneficial. Mine is
4 > on a small reiser logival volume mounted with option "tail". It's just
5 > big enough to hold portage with 10-15% free space (the tree doesn't
6 > expand that much over time).
7
8 It is faster. If I were going to use reiserfs (I use ext2 for this) I'd
9 use it with notail, the tail packing impacts performance. I'm more
10 interested in speed than saving disk space.
14 Neil Bothwick
15
16 We shall shortly be landing. Please return your stewardess to
17 the upright position.