From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: rpm or deb package installs
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 14:47:32
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I see you are doing more than I thought you were doing
5 >
6 > rpms and debs are both cpio files so the easy way is to unpack them and
7 > see what's going on:
8 >
9 > rpm2cpio name.rpm | cpio -iv --make-directories
10 > dpkg -x somepackage.deb ~/temp/
11 >
12 > Considering the size of what you are doing, you are probably better off
13 > running a Centos and Debian system to evaluate the code and discard the
14 > rubbish. Once you've isolated the interesting ones, you can evaluate
15 > them closer and maybe write ebuilds for them.
16
17 Workflow is the first test. Second unpack and look at the code
18 to maybe 5% of what I test. The tests I'm developing are low
19 level code profiling. Once I figure it all out what I need manually
20 looking at many (cluster/hpc) codes, then I hope to use CI
21 to automate the process of first performance profiling the codes.
24 THEN unpack and look at the codes iff it is impressive on performance.
25
26 I am leaning towards a separate box for these evaluations, but a
27 VM environment might be better in the long run... dunno....
30 thx,
31 James