From: Andreas Claesson <andreas.claesson@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which -march flag to pick for Intel Core 2 Duo in make.conf?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 17:09:58
1 On 5/25/07, burlingk@×××××××××.mil <burlingk@×××××××××.mil> wrote:
2 >
3 > > -----Original Message-----
4 > > From: Randy Barlow [mailto:randy@×××××××××××××××××.com]
5 >
6 > <Snip>
7 >
8 > > If you are using a lot of memory in your computations, then
9 > > the 64-bit environment will be much friendlier to you :)
10 > > Also, if I understand correctly, you will get higher
11 > > precision on floating point calculations (someone correct me
12 > > if I am wrong here!) I also believe that the 64 bit
13 > > processors are able to perform more instructions per second
14 > > on average when executing 64 bit code vs. 32 bit code if I am
15 > > not mistaken...
16 >
17 > I am not sure, but that makes sense. If nothing else, things executed
18 > directly usually run more smoothly than those who are run through
19 > emulation. 64bit code on 64bit processor good...
20
21 There is no emulation involved when running 32bit code in either core2
22 nor amd64 processors. The difference when running in 32bit mode is
23 that some instructions are unavailable, you have a smaller number of
24 registers, and the registers are only 32bit.
25
26 More registers speed up most kind of code, 64bit registers speed up
27 64bit calculations, and the extra instructions are good for array
28 calculations and similar (more sse instructions for example).
29
30 The only bad thing with 64bit code is that the programs get bigger,
31 which may effect memory performance negatively. But if you have a lot
32 of memory then you will benefit from not needing any special
33 addressing modes.
34
35 Since you (Denis) are doing a lot of mathematical calculations you
36 will probably benefit from running in 64bit mode.
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list