From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Human configurable boot loader, OR useful grub2 documentation
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 08:10:49
1 On Friday, 5 July 2019 08:24:14 BST mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Thank you! Now I don't have to read all the grub2 manual right away.
3
4 Hardly anyone needs to read the whole GRUB2 manual, unless you're interest to
5 know the ins and outs of GRUB2.
6
7 However, it would be advisable to skim-read at least this wiki page, which
8 explains which files you could/should edit to make GRUB2 do what you want it
9 to do:
10
11 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2
14 > Works
15 > mostly like I thought but first attempt was to edit the mkconfig- grub.cfg
16 > and I failed to back it up Properly. I should have tried it first on a
17 > system that didn't have 4 other distros laying around.
18
19 As per the above page, you could edit the /etc/default/grub file to define
20 default variables, *then* run the grub-mkconfig command. Depending on your
21 needs you could also add files in /etc/grub.d/ or edit 40_custom.
22
23 You could create manually a /boot/grub/grub.cfg file, but this is NOT how
24 GRUB2 was meant to be used. TBH, if you want to do this, then why bother with
25 GRUB2 in the first place. You could instead install sys-boot/grub-static from
26 an overlay and use grub legacy by manually configuring its /boot/grub/
27 grub.conf file.
28
29 https://gpo.zugaina.org/sys-boot/grub-static
30
31 Alternatively, there are other bootloaders to consider, with sys-boot/syslinux
32 or extlinux featuring as lightweight alternatives.
33 --
34 Regards,
35
36 Mick