From: ny6p01@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Gnome Systemd Upgrade Question
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 01:04:23
1 On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 02:07:06AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 23/12/13 01:56, Lee wrote:
3 > > Hi, I installed Gentoo a long time ago with the desktop/gnome profile
4 > > set. Now, I don't use gnome (i use fluxbox). However since I have the
5 > > use tags, many gnome libraries were pulled in over time.
6 > >
7 > > Now, since the upgrade to gnome 3.8, Portage updates result in a
8 > > conflict because the gnome libs need systemd, which conflicts with udev.
9 > >
10 > > Instead of making the switch to systemd, I decided to change my profile
11 > > to plain desktop (no gnome). Since I don't have gnome desktop, it was
12 > > relatively simple for the system to update itself.
13 > >
14 > > My only questions are, will cups and hplip function in a 'gnomeless'
15 > > system, and are there any other gotchas to be aware of?
18 > printing will work regardless of whether you have gnome or not.
19 > cups is what it is, it is not a gnome app.
20 >
21 > I don't know of any gotchas with removing gnome (I usually call that a
22 > feature with huge benefits...). All that a profile is, is a bunch of
23 > pre-configured settings. It's a starting point and the contents of your
24 > settings in /etc/portage modifies them. Portage will sort everything out
25 > when you emerge -avuND world and give you what you need according to
26 > your config
29 That's a relief! I didn't think the upgrade to systemd was worth the
30 trouble.