From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [HEADSUP] libreoffice versus bison-2.5
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 17:53:45
1 On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 07:20:01PM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 >
3 > and have you ever heard of 'code reuse' or 'modularity'?
4 >
5 > It seems - no.
6 >
7 > Because KDE itself might be huge. But once loaded the apps are pretty small -
8 > because they reuse code. kmail does not have its own html engine. It does not
9 > matter where you type your text etc pp.
12 I'm sorry, but the "once you load this GB of libs" argument is
13 missing the point entirely...
14
15 > Overall KDE uses LESS ram then most 'lightweight' solutions.
18 No.
19
20 Been around the block investigating this, it's BS.
21 I've investigated this quite thoroughly because I have to support
22 users who need everything to be easy and automatic and pointy-clicky
23 (and preferably shiny too).
24
25 Frankly, arguing that kde4 is a "lighter weight" solution is something
26 only a hardcore zealot or someone who's not used a WM without a DE could do with a straight face.
29 caveat utilitor