From: cal <cal@×××××××××.technology>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Remove rust completely
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 02:03:00
1 On 5/11/22 18:41, Mansour Al Akeel wrote:
2 > Miles,
3 > Thank you for your response. The idea of "getting harder and harder"
4 > is hard to accept. Gentoo has always been about having choice> Firefox requires rust, but is there a way to disable this ?
5 > There must be another way to let the user decide if they need it or not !
6 At the distribution level, sure, but the Gentoo package maintainers
7 don't necessarily have the authority to control what upstream software
8 developers are doing. I continue to find it perplexing how many people
9 on this list hold responsible the Gentoo packaging for the
10 decision-making of upstream developers.
11
12 Significant core components of Firefox are written in Rust, and have
13 been for years. Whether or not this is a good thing is in the eyes of
14 the beholder, but it has nothing to do with the Gentoo packaging -- it's
15 a Mozilla decision.
16 >
17 > And yes, the compile time is one of the factors in not wanting it on
18 > my system. The second factor is a natural reaction toward feeling that
19 > I am forced to have it.
20 > Another reason is the growing collection of compilers and development
21 > tools and their build time (gcc, bin-utils, llvm, clang ... etc.) and
22 > now rust.
23 >
24 > Firefox itself takes a lot of time to build, and if rust is a must
25 > have, then maybe it is time for me to look into something else. I know
26 > there's firefox-bin, and if it doesn't need rust, then maybe it is an
27 > option.
28 >
29 > On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 8:55 PM Miles Malone