From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:08:05
1 On Wednesday 20 December 2006 18:28, Nelson, David (ED, PAR&D) wrote:
2 > Is there, or could there be, a method for giving say 7 days notice for when
3 > an ebuild is going to be removed?
4
5 When we are talking about old ebuilds being removed in favour of newer
6 available ebuilds this just isn't feasible imo. It would be a lot of added
7 work for no good reason.
8
9 If on the other hand we speak of entire packages being removed from portage
10 then policy dictates that it is masked for removal for 30 days before it is
11 actually removed. Furthermore it is now mentioned in GWN.
12
13 > Or, what about keeping removed ebuilds
14 > somewhere on the gentoo website or someplace for say 28 days. So if you
15 > want it, you can grab it and put it in an overlay or wherever.
16
17 It will stay in cvs forever. Not just 28 days. Just click the "Show ? dead
18 files" link in any folder to see files that have been removed from the tree.
19 http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/
20
21 > As far as I am aware the GWN lists ebuilds to be removed but are these only
22 > for dead programs rather than specific ebuilds/versions?
23
24 Yes.
27 Bo Andresen