From: Azamat Hackimov <azamat.hackimov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about genkernel's default kernel config
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 07:27:56
1 2016-08-14 16:45 GMT+05:00 Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>:
2
3 > Hey, just curious about something:
4 >
5 > How is genkernel's "default" kernel config maintained? Is it fixed, or is
6 > it maintained as a diff against upstream, or what?
7 >
8 > I'm curious because I'm considering if I should just go straight to the
9 > kernel's own built in defaults.
10 >
11 > I know a lot of it sets up most things as modules instead of
12 > builtin/disabled.
15 Default config is maintained by genkernel developers (
16 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/genkernel.git/tree/defaults).
17 Definitely you should build own kernel configuration, and genkernel can
18 significantly ease this task.
19 genkernel supports --menuconfig and --oldconfig (which placed into
20 /etc/kernels by default) options, so you can customize and rebuild new
21 versions of kernel based on customized config.
22 I suggest to read https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Genkernel for final
23 enlightenment.
26 From Siberia with Love!