From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ssmtp rewriting "From:" in emails...
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 17:12:41
1 Hi,
2
3 I have a strange problem: whenever my web-server sends registration
4 emails, the sender field gets overwritten.
5
6 "From:" should be:
7
8 My Web Site <info@mywebsite>
9
10 But email is delivered to the addressee from:
11
12 added by portage for apache <apache@mywebsite>
13
14 Logs on my web-server indicate the mail was handed over to
15 the local MTA with the correct "From:" field. Logs on my
16 mail-server (which is a different machine) show it has
17 already received this mail for delivery with changed "From"
18 field.
19
20 In between is ssmtp, running on the same machine as web.
21 I'm not quite sure, because I did not find any ssmtp-logs,
22 but I suppose ssmtp is changing "From", simply to the user
23 under which the process is running is substituted into
24 "From" field.
25
26 My /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf (without comments) is quite simple:
27 root=postmaster
28 mailhub=mymailserver
29
30 How can I instruct ssmtp not to change "From:" fields
31 in emails?
32
33 Jarry
37 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
38 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.