From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WPA Supplicant
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 13:14:28
1 On Sunday 24 April 2011 13:37:03 dhkuhl@×××××××××.net wrote:
2 > I'm trying to get wireless working reliably on my laptop. I have followed
3 > the documentation, but still have a lot of questions . . . especially
4 > since it only seems to work sometimes.
5 >
6 > First, I'm using WPA Supplicant without the gui tools.
7
8 run wpa_gui from a terminal and a lot of what you're asking below will become
9 self-explanatory.
12 > Second, I'm in NYC and there are a lot of networks I can use around town.
13 >
14 > Third, Is there a way I can control the services I use from the Grub menu?
15 > Since the laptop has a wireless card and an RJ45 jack, I'd like to be able
16 > boot and not use one or the other. Since I know if I'm not physically
17 > connected to a network, there's really no reason to even try eth0.
18
19 Check /etc/conf.d/rc and in particular:
20
21 # RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING allows some flexibility with the 'net' service.
22 # The following values are allowed:
23 # none - The 'net' service is always considered up.
24 # no - This basically means that at least one net.* service besides net.lo
25 # must be up. This can be used by notebook users that have a wifi
26 and
27 # a static nic, and only wants one up at any given time to have the
28 # 'net' service seen as up.
29 # lo - This is the same as the 'no' option, but net.lo is also counted.
30 # This should be useful to people that do not care about any specific
31 # interface being up at boot.
32 # yes - For this ALL network interfaces MUST be up for the 'net' service to
33 # be considered up.
34
35 RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING="no"
36
37 (or you can use "lo")
40 > Forth, The problem. I'm not sure how wpa_supplicant works or how it should
41 > work. The wpa_supplicant man page gives a few examples on how to run it,
42 > but when I look at the process list it seems to be run by another program
43 > called wpa_cli. There's also a shell script in /etc/wpa/supplicant that
44 > looks like it can start or stop it with CONNECT or DISCONNECT. 1) Do I
45 > need to enter networks in wpa_supplicant.conf or does wpa_supplicant scan
46 > for networks and connect to whatever's available?
47
48 The latter.
49
50 You can however enter manually in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
51 particular parameters (keys and what not) of known networks to which you
52 connect as a matter of preference.
55 > 2) If I have multiple
56 > networks available how does wpa_supplicant choose which to connect to and
57 > can I specify which one I want?
58
59 It'll connect to:
60
61 a) Any network you have specified in your
62 /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf according to the preference you have
63 set up therein.
64
65 b) Any network it finds.
66
67 c) Any network you select with wpa_cli, or select/enable/disable in wpa_gui.
70 > 3) How should wpa_supplicant be started,
71 > stopped and restarted? What should be used for this: wpa_supplicant,
72 > wpa_cli, or wpa_cli.sh? I don't see anything in /etc/init.d for that, but
73 > it looks like netmount may be doing it.
74
75 You need to define it in /etc/conf.d/net:
76
77 modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
78 wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
79
80 (adjust this according to the name of your wireless iface and driver).
83 > 4) The documentation doesn't say
84 > to, but the way I got wireless working is by creating a link net.wlan0 ->
85 > net.lo in the /etc/init.d directory. Is this correct?
86
87 It depends which documentation you are looking at. I am sure that this is
88 explained in the gentoo Handbook and associated documentation.
89
90 This is the link you need:
91
92 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Dec 16 14:26 net.wlan0 -> net.lo
93
94 but you should have also configured /etc/conf.d/net with your desired settings
95 or just defaults will run.
98 > I think that's why
99 > it's starting automatically when I boot too, because I never added it with
100 > rc-update so netmount must be picking it up.
103 > 5) This is the most puzzling
104 > thing. When wpa_supplicant starts even though I get a inet address I
105 > can't always get to the internet. Why does the panel applet says I'm
106 > connected and ifconfig shows an inet address but firefox and ping can't
107 > reach a site like yahoo or google?
108
109 This could well be a dns server/repeater issue.
110
111 If you can ping the IP address of google, but not the domain name of it, then
112 the problem is that you do not have access to a DNS repeater. Look in your
113 /etc/resolve.conf to see if there is a line saying:
114
115 nameserver XXX.XXX.XX.XX
116
117 if it is absent then you have not connected to a namesever. This is a router
118 issue and it could be controlled by some authentication scheme. A lot of
119 wireless services offered by coffee shops, libraries, etc. may give you an IP
120 address automatically, but then require you use your browser to register with
121 their authentication server (using a passwd that they provide after you pay
122 them for the privilege).
123
124 Open access points with no encryption and no DNS authentication requirements
125 should allow you to connect seamlessly to the Internet.
128 > 6) For networks where I have a
129 > password, should that go in wpa_supplicant.conf as plain text or should it
130 > be encrypted?
131
132 This can be a confusing endeavour because some routers will only accept
133 certain characters in a passphrase, so you could be failing to connect due to
134 the peculiarities of the router. The passphrase should be entered as provided
135 by the router owner, then a hex key generated with wpa_passphrase (look at man
136 wpa_passphrase). Then enter the hex key in your wpa_supplicant.conf, or your
137 wpa_gui.
138
139 HTH for now, ask more as you need it.
140 --
141 Regards,
142 Mick