From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filesystem recommendation for external media storage
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:04:13
1 On 06/27/2013 10:13:55 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > exfat does what you want - it was designed to "just work" on the very
4 > large removeable media we have nowadays (think 7G movie files) and
5 > bypass all the nonsense like "does the user that created this file
6 > even
7 > exist on the machine that is reading it?"
8 >
9 > It also works pretty well
12 Hi,
13 my comment might be completely off topic, but it might, as well, be a
14 serious warning.
15
16 I have a Garmin GPS device which has an internal storage of 4GB and an
17 additional SD card
18 with a capacity of 32 GB. The device can be attached to a USB port.
19
20 Now, when looking from (a virtual) Windows 7 OS, the file systems on
21 both of these are reported
22 as FAT 32. In addition running CHKDSK doesn't reveal any problems.
23
24 Looking from my native GenToo (on the very same hardware, without
25 Windows running),
26 the smaller 4GB file system looks just nice (files and meta data being
27 identical to what Windows has reported)
30 The larger file system (declared as vfat in /etc/fstab) gets mounted
31 without any problems.
32 But an 'ls' commands shows question marks all over the place except for
33 few single characters.
34 In addition, in the beginning, when there were less than 4GB data on
35 that SD card, the file system
36 looked just fine under Linux, as well. Only afterwards, like now, when
37 it holds more than 20GB data,
38 I cannot use it any more from my Gentoo system.
39
40 Does anybody have an idea what's going on or where to report this bug?
41
42 Many thanks,
43 Helmut.
44
45 P.S. I have tried to mount that file system as exFAT under GenToo but
46 that was rejected.