From: Ralph Seichter <m16+gentoo@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up fetchmail to feed postfix
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 17:29:24
1 On 24.11.17 17:40, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > That's because I don't yet know enough to know what questions to ask;
4 > that's why I hoped I'd be pointed to a general guide or explanation.
5
6 http://www.fetchmail.info/ is the most obvious starting point, and I
7 assume you have found that one. Fetchmail per se is not Gentoo-specific,
8 so you're better off asking questions on the FM mailing lists should you
9 find the manual and FAQ insufficient.
10
11 > > If you plan to use a single fetchmail process, ~foo/.fetchmailrc (with
12 > > foo being the user you want to run fetchmail as) usually suffices.
13 >
14 > I assume you mean ~/.fetchmailrc, a file in my home directory, no?
15
16 You can run fetchmail as the user you are logging in with or as a
17 separate user. I suggest the latter if you want to run fetchmail in
18 daemon mode, for standard privilege separation reasons. I used "foo" as
19 an example. If you want to run fetchmail on demand only, a dedicated
20 user account may be inconvenient, and you did not say which method you
21 are aiming for in your OP.
22
23 -Ralph