From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 16:07:24
1 On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >> <SNIP>
6 >>>>> sys-process/htop
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Huh? I only see the total amount of swap being used, but no entry per
9 >>>> process.
10 >>>
11 >>> Hit F2, and go down to 'columns'. Anything per-process found under
12 >>> /proc can be added as a column.
13 >
14 >> Anything in there show network through-put per process? I've been
15 >> looking for a way to monitor what's going to each of my VMs?
16 >
17 > NAFAIK. Though if you get a kernel patch that gets per-process socket
18 > auditing added, then it should show up. :)
19 >
20 > I usually use iftop for watching flows. There's another tool I
21 > installed which handles some things (such as IPv6) better, but inara
22 > and kaylee are still down, so I can't peek at their world files to
23 > find out what it was.
24 >
25 > --
26 > :wq
29 Thanks. iftop is interesting but seems more focused on the provider of
30 the media source and less on the sink. I also use nettop to watch
31 overall bitrates but I suspect you have that one also.
32
33 Assume I have 3 VMs running and they are all streaming media.
34 VM1->Netflix, VM2->Hulu, VM3->Amazon, etc. What I'm really interested
35 in is something that would tell me how much bandwidth each VM is
36 getting. Per-process would almost certainly do that, and maybe that's
37 what I'll eventually have to do, but I'm hoping to find some little
38 app that maybe someone has put together.
39
40 Thanks,
41 Mark