From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsa-plugins emerge failure
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 22:38:25
1 On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 01:50:22PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
2 > On Friday 18 April 2008, Walter Dnes wrote:
3
4 > > checking for ALSA... yes
5 > > checking for snd_pcm_ioplug_create in -lasound... no
6 > > configure: error: *** libasound has no external plugin SDK
7 >
8 > libasound comes from package alsa-lib. So, what's the output from these
9 > commands (assuming you have eix installed):
10 >
11 > eix alsa-lib
12 > eix alsa-plugins
13 > emerge --info
14 >
15 > I don't have alsa-plugins myself and have never needed it. Are you sure
16 > you need it?
17
18 Thanks for the pointer to eix. I did the spelunking you suggested,
19 and more. First item is that I re-emerged alsa-lib, and got the
20 following warning...
21
22 * Messages for package media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.16:
23
24 * You haven't selected _any_ PCM plugins. Either you set it to
25 * something like the default
26 * (which is being set in the profile UNLESS you unset them) or alsa
27 * based applications
28 * are going to *misbehave* !
29
30 Note that after running into some "helpful defaults" a few years ago
31 (*hack* *kaff* IPV6 *hack* *kaff*) I ended up inserting "-*" at the
32 beginning of my USE variable. I have quite a bit of stuff in the USE
33 variable, but it's there only because it provides features I want/need
34 or because an app I want/need complains about missing something. Is
35 this one of those cases? I should probably solve this first.
36
37 About alsa-plugins... is it required for MP3 or streaming MP3? If
38 not I'll consider unmerging it.
41 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
42 Stop the Squeegee Kids in Pinstripe Suits
43 Fight SAC's Canadian internet tax http://walterdnes.wordpress.com
44 --
45 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list