From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists.
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 08:18:38
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 8 October 2022 04:44:56 BST Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I installed Yakuake and to me, it looks like Konsole but without the
5 >> menu part at the top. Other than that, I don't see anything special.
6 > Once Yakuake is running, F12 will open it in whichever virtual desktop you
7 > happen to be and you can continue your work in the terminal within that
8 > desktop. I'm not sure what other benefits it has.
11 I think since I always have Konsole open and ready, it is easier for me
12 to use it.  If I rarely had Konsole open, then that might come in
13 handy.  I have Konsole with several tabs open and parked on desktop 3.
14 It's stuck there at all times.  I have 18 virtual desktops and some have
15 specific programs on certain desktops.  Seamonkey web browser is always
16 on desktop 1.  Seamonkey email is on desktop 2.  The list goes on.  I'm
17 pretty organized in that way. ;-)
20 >> I
21 >> kinda wish I had a terminal with dolphin or something. I think there is
22 >> a way but right now, I'm getting the job done. I'll look into that
23 >> later. Pretty sure it is under the tool menu.
24 >>
25 >> Thanks.
26 >>
27 >> Dale
28 >>
29 >> :-) :-)
30 > Yes, look at Tools>'Focus Terminal Panel', or Ctrl+Shift+F4. I find this more
31 > useful than Yakuake for my typical use case,[1] or more often I just use
32 > Shift+F4 to open a new separate Konsole terminal in the same directory as
33 > Dolphin happens to be.
34 >
35 > [1] Often I go into a directory which I have already opened in Dolphin and
36 > then run a series of commands in a terminal, without needing to refer back to
37 > dolphin.
38
39 I have Konsole set to run su - when it opens so that messes up that.  It
40 opens and cd's to the directory but wants to run as root.  I guess I
41 could find a way to get a root Konsole another way but most of the time,
42 I need it as root anyway. On the rare occasion I need it as my user, I
43 just su dale and carry on.
46 I will say this, using mv was much easier and faster than my old way a
47 bit ago.  Thanks Arve for that suggestion.  It's command line but it
48 works well and does exactly what I want.  I was hoping for a GUI method
49 but this works.
50
51 Dale
52