From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup questions
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 03:10:00
1 On 10/08/18 10:46, Dale wrote:
2 > Wols Lists wrote:
3 >> On 08/08/18 04:43, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Howdy,
5 >>>
6 >>> I just bought two external drive enclosures. One is sort of a spare but
7 >>> ....
8
9 >>> It has power.  I'm not sure where I'd put a fridge, even a tiny one.  I
10 >>> wish it was twice as big as it is.  Of course, I'd fill that up in no
11 >>> time too.  Isn't that the way it works?  ROFL
12 >>>
13 >>> I'm getting interesting ideas tho.  Pondering that backup software
14 >>> option too.  It has its pluses.  ;-)
15 >>>
16 >>> Thanks.
17 >>>
18 >>> Dale
19 >>>
20 >>> :-)  :-)
21 >>>
22
23 I would think the cost of setting it up and running a fridge would add
24 up to hard drive cost over a couple of years anyway (at least for what
25 we pay in Western Australia :)  In a humid environment you would need to
26 be very careful of condensation, and a sealed system will still need a
27 way to transfer the heat as if the cooling fails, it will cook itself
28 very fast
29
30 I have the fans set to spin up faster at 35c and above.  Without the
31 fans they sit around 45c on a typical day and use.  I have found that in
32 an enclosure its just as important to have good conduction of heat
33 (disks mounted to the metal frame) and clear the heated air out of the
34 enclosure as flowing air over the disks.
35
36 Here it gets to 40c+ (>100F) and sometimes humid (not far from the
37 ocean).  Cooling is fans only, and I have 4 WD Green, 2 WD red and two
38 seagates (all 2G, in 2x btrfs raid 10) and a few intel and samsung SSD's
39 (for bcache and system disks) that run ~16 hrs a day with no failures
40 for the last few years (~10).
43 Sometimes its better to play the odds.
44
45 BillK