From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4/ext3 for /boot?
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 19:28:33
1 On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 19:29:06 +0100
2 Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 > just out of curiosity: is it possible to use ext4/ext3
6 > filesystem even for separate /boot partition?
7
8 Yes.
9
10 ext2/3/4 are all backwards compatible. ext4 does have a certain feature
11 (I forget what) that once used breaks this compatibility but you are
12 highly, highly unlikely to ever do that on /boot.
13
14 The benefits of ext3/4 are irrelevant for /boot anyway - that
15 filesystem is write-seldom, read ever so slightly more often.
19 > For /boot I'm still using ext2, but a friend of mine
20 > is just doing installation and asked me what filesystem
21 > he should use, so I told him not to complicate things
22 > and simply use ext4 for all. But now I'm not so sure if he
23 > is able to boot his new fresh gentoo-system at the end?
24 >
25 > Jarry
30 Alan McKinnnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com