From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: e2fsck -c when bad blocks are in existing file?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 03:54:58
1 On 2022-11-12, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Have your questions been answered satisfactorily by Lawrence's contribution?
4
5 Yes, Lawrence's experiment answered the my question: e2fsck adds the
6 bad block to the "bad block" inode and leaves it also allocated to the
7 existing file.
8
9 Presumably if you don't allow it to clone the block, reading that file
10 will return an error when it gets to the bad block. Once you delete
11 that file, the bad block will never get reallocated by the filesystem
12 since it still belongs to the bad block inode.
13
14 The failing SSD that prompted the question has now been replaced and a
15 fresh Gentoo system installed on the new drive. I never did figure out
16 which files contained the bad blocks (there were 37 bad blocks,
17 IIRC). They apparently didn't belong to any of the files I copied over
18 to the replacement drive.
19
20 The old drive was a Samsung 850 EVO SATA drive, and the new one is a
21 Samsung 980 PRO M.2 drive. The new one is noticably faster than the
22 old one (which in turn was way faster than the spinning platter drive
23 it had replaced).
26 Grant