From: Bob <ftoomch@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xrandr: Intel G965 and HDTV woes
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:47:18
I've bought a shiny new htpc that I was hoping would just work with
Linux.

Sadly it doesn't.

Before I post a long and rambling diatribe, does anyone know how to
run xrandr remotely (since I just get a blank screen on the hdtv)?

I tried over tunnelled ssh and just got the local (my laptop's) X server's settings,
and then tried using the -display flag like so:

# /etc/init.d/xdm start
 * Setting up gdm ...
 * Detaching to start `/usr/bin/gdm' ...
# xrandr -display :0
Xlib: No protocol specified

Can't open display :0

I'm guessing this requires me to somehow open access to the X server.

I set 'DisallowTCP=false' in /etc/X11/gdm/custom.conf in the [security] section and restarted gdm but that didn't seem to do anything.

What else can I try to get xrandr to let me change the resolution for a xserver that can't be seen?

Thanks.