From: Xav' <xp@××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] root on raid 1 = no boot
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:05:00
1 On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:59:03 +0100, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
3 > On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:54:03 +0200, Xav' wrote:
4 >
5 >> You have to know that the kernel isn't able to assemble RAID devices
6 >> together without the use of mdadm. So you have to use an initrd with the
7 >> mdadm binary to use a RAID root !
8 >
9 > Could you please keep quiet about that, my computers have been using
10 > RAID root devices for years without an initrd and I don't want them to
11 > get the idea they need one now.
14 Okay sorry but i wasn't aware about that... When i set up RAID, following
15 HowTos from both gentoo-wiki.com and gentoo.org, and nowhere there is
16 indications of the auto-detection and assembling by the kernel... Maybe not
17 the right information source ?
18
19 > Volker, are sda3 and sdb3 marked as Linux Raid autodetect in cfdisk? If
20 > not you may need mdadm, but with the partitions marked as autodetect, the
21 > kernel should figure it out for itself.
22 >
23 > This is the kernel line I use in menu.lst, there is no initrd
24 >
25 > kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/md0 vga=794
26 > video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1280x1024-32@85
29 Xavier