From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Overclocking CPU causes segmentation fault
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:14:24
1 On Tuesday 22 January 2013 03:13:01 PM IST, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 22/01/13 09:41, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
3 >> So I have this old E2180 processor and no money as of now to buy a new
4 >> rig :P
5 >> I'm trying to overclock my CPU using BIOS host clock control and
6 >> everything is fine at 2.6 Ghz up to bootloader.
7 >>
8 >> Kernel segfaults. Any idea why? I'm running pf-kernel 3.7.2 and it
9 >> doesn't work with vanilla kernel either.
10 >>
11 >> Intel MCE is disabled in kernel configuration.
12 >
13 > When you raise the "host clock", which is the FSB, you are also
14 > raising the frequency of your RAM. So make sure you select a lower
15 > FSB:DRAM ratio in your BIOS. To begin with, set it to 1:1.
16 >
17 > Also, if you only have the stock CPU cooler that came with it, you
18 > won't be able to actually get a stable overclock. Your CPU's stock
19 > frequency is 2GHz. Without a better cooler, you might get it to 2.2
20 > or 2.3 maybe. But 2.6? That's pretty optimistic. I don't think
21 > it'll work in the long run, unless you happen to have picked a good
22 > chip that can be overclocked without raising the VCore.
23 >
24 > But first, solve the RAM problem by lowering the FSB:DRAM ratio.
28 I don't get even 2.1 with the stock cooler. Temperature easily goes
29 above 75-80 (spec say high temp is 86) on the prime95 test. Quite easy
30 to cook it considering that I'm a Gentoo user :D
31 Not really worth that. Thanks for replies.
34 Nilesh Govindarajan
35 http://nileshgr.com