From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cron and disabling emails for one script only
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 14:26:28
1 On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 03:22:18 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > >> This seems to be working.  Since I added the null bit to the script
4 > >> itself, it hasn't sent a email.  I don't know if it will if it fails
5 > >> but I still have weekly backups as well.
6 > > If you only redirect stdout to /dev/null and leave stderr alone, you
7 > > should still see errors. But a better option would be to have your
8 > > script only send output when something goes wrong.
9
10 > That sounds complicated.  I've never been good at what y'all call
11 > scripting.  I'm just glad it does it for me so I don't forget.
12
13 Not really. ">/dev/null" redirects stdout to null. You added 2>&1, which
14 redirects stderr to stdout, effectively throwing away any error messages.
15 Post your backup script and we'll be able to help more.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 WinErr 815: Insufficient Memory - Only 50,312,583 Bytes available