From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] merging or fitting images together
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 17:19:50
1 On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I'm seriously wondering if there might not be something broken with
6 >> the .jpeg files I'm spitting out. That laptop (saffron) is in the
7 >> middle of an overdue emerge --update --deep --newuse @world, though.
8 >> (And I saw it was complaining about 19 blockers...) It may be overdue
9 >> for a depclean and some other maintenance. I haven't tweaked things
10 >> much, as it's my last functioning Gentoo box until I get kaylee and
11 >> inara fixed.
12 >
13 > It looks like the file uses arithmetic coding, which has legal
14 > restrictions (patents, licensing, blah), which means many jpeg
15 > implementations do not support it. That probably is why it works in
16 > some places and not in others. You should pretty much always use
17 > Huffman coding instead of Arithmetic coding if you're using the images
18 > on the internet or sharing them with others. The image quality is not
19 > affected by this choice, only the way the data is stored in the file.
20 > The file size will be slightly larger using Huffman, but in most cases
21 > only barely larger.
22
23 I'm familiar with the difference between Huffman and arithmetic[1]. I
24 don't recall seeing any options for managing it, though. I'd have to
25 check to find out what USE flags I've got enabled that might be
26 involved. Also surprising that Windows 7 won't process it.
27
28 [1] Side effect of having a crazy compression geek for a friend and
29 coworker. I think he finally got around to trying my suggestion of
30 saving off the deflate window state for seekable .tar.gz files.
31 --
32 :wq