From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Install 2011 Asus thin lappy
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 22:31:51
1 It has and Icore 5, 4 GB and 124GB SSD. If I can I like to nuke the
2 windows 7 home edition or shrink it way way down, in case I need access
3 on the windows side. It's really nice, sturdy metal case and very, very
4 thin. It has a 13.5 inch screen. Perhaps I need to discover all the
5 hardware particulars before I format of the windows 7 home edition ?
6 Perhaps I just need to leave the W-7 and shrink it up?
7
8 It only has (2) usb ports and a mini usb port.
9 I have an Asus usb-to-ethernet, works under window.
10 I'm not so sure about the bios (EFI) American Megatrends
11 setting to get it to boot.
12
13 So I was first looking for an easy image to put on a usb 3 drive
14 with a common linux to get the boot settings right, before I try to
15 get it to boot/install gentoo. I'd like a very minimize gentoo linux
16 with a minimized Desktop? Perhaps I should just install and run
17 a linux install design for these old laptops? Perhaps an older
18 SystemRescue usb images to test the boot settings? I can do an overthe
19 ethernet install if necessary, but would prefer a gentoo-usb install
20 at least for the basic minimize gentoo.
21
22 Suggests, as my experience with usb linux installs is very weak.
23 A pathway, that is easy to follow, as I might just install several
24 old laptops, if this works
25
26 So in the bios the aptio setup utility::
27
28 Boot Option #1
29 Windows boot manager (po: Sandisk SSD u100 124GB
30 Disabled
31
32 OR:: ADD new boot Option
33 ...Add boot option
34 (dialog box with 'add boot option)
37 ...SELECT File system
38 PCI(1F|2)\DevicePath(Type 3, SubType 12)Part1,sig787(long key sequence)
41 ...PATH for boot option
42 (just a dialog box for 'path for boot option)
45 ...CREATE
46 (please set boot option name and file path)
54 In the bios it also has::
55
56 Save Changes & Exit
57 "Boot Override
58
59 Windows boot mgr
60
61 Launch EFI shell from file system device
64 Suggestions, and which instructions to follow (I found several in the
65 gentoo wiki not to mention other gentoo laptop install pages.
66
67 Perhaps a bios update before beginning? No, a bad idea?
68
69 Openboot or another open bios on this old but sturdy laptop?
70
71 I could just use a live-gentoo rewritable usb 3 (thumb drive) on it and
72 forget the install?
75 All suggestions and references appreciated.