From: "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble emerging R and tcltk
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 02:18:57
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 30 April 2008, John P. Burkett wrote:
3 >> On a x86 machine operating under Gentoo Linux, I'm having persistent
4 >> difficulty in emerging R and tcltk in a manner that allows the former
5 >> to find the latter. On this machine, in R version 2.6.1, the command
6 >> library(tcltk) elicits the following response:
7 >> Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
8 >> Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
9 >> Error in library(tcltk) : .First.lib failed for 'tcltk'
10 >>
11 >> After first encountering this problem, I took the following steps:
12 > [snip]
13 >> 4. Set a tcltk USE flag for R by appending the line dev-lang/R tcltk
14 >> to my /etc/portage/package.use file.
15 >
16 > eix reveals that the required USE flag is in fact "tk"
17
18 Thanks, Alan! Changing the USE flag from tcltk to tk, as you suggested,
19 was the key to getting R to find tcltk. After making that change, doing
20 "emerge -C R" and "emerge R" was enough to correct the problem.
21
22 Best regards,
23 John
26 John P. Burkett
27 Department of Environmental and Natural Resource Economics
28 and Department of Economics
29 University of Rhode Island
30 Kingston, RI 02881-0808
31 USA