From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] artsd using a TON of memory
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:27:04
1 Andrei Slavoiu wrote:
4 >Be aware that if you disable arts you will loose sound
5 >notifications from kde programs (most notable kopete).
6 >A good workaroud is to let it active but configure all
7 >the programs that can use alsa directlly not to use
8 >arts. This will slow the growing of arts :)
9 >Also, there is no need to logout in order to restart
10 >arts, just use `killall arts` when it has grown too big.
16 If I kill artsd how do I restart it? I like all the sounds. It makes a
17 sound when I do anything, except move the mouse or hit a key on the
18 keyboard. I just like it.
19
20 Maybe they will phase it out later on. I have read where people were
21 moving away from arts I just didn't know why. I only started having
22 this with KDE 3.5 though.
23
24 Dale
25 :-) :-)
26
27 Now to fix this pesky circle for dbus, hal and ivman.
30 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
31
32 I have four rigs:
33
34 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives. Named Smoker
35 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive. Named Swifty
36 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 224MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive. Named Pokey
37 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive. Named Putput
38
39 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list