From: "Nelson
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple Linux Router on a live CD?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:13:27
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Peter Lewis [mailto:prlewis@×××××××××××.org]
3 > Sent: 21 February 2007 16:36
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple Linux Router on a live CD?
6 >
7 > So, and I ask this as an honest question, is it generally
8 > accepted that the
9 > level of technical knowledge expected on this list is higher
10 > than, say, on
11 > the forums? Or the IRC channels?
12
13 I'm not sure exactly. IRC channels are good for instant help - mailing lists I feel yield more complete, verbose and useful results in an easier to store and search form. Grep and irc logs works to a point but emails are much easier IMO.
14
15 As Bo said new users are welcome to ask questions - however it's much more painful to drag information out of people via Email compared to IRC. If someone comes into #gentoo and says "NFS wont work" you can ask them there and then for specs, setup, etc etc etc. On Email if someone says "NFS wont work" it's much more hassle to get all the necessary information to make informed suggestions.
18 > I'm relatively new to the Gentoo community, though not to
19 > online or computing
20 > communities generally, and am finding that there are a lot
21 > more unspoken
22 > norms or rules than I am used to (or perhaps the seasoned
23 > members are less
24 > forgiving of them being broken), which can be quite a
25 > disincentive to a
26 > newcomer.
27
28 Everywhere has their own ground rules I guess - I like to think the obvious things are what we abide to here - proper spelling and grammar as far as is possible (I appreciate many are not English speakers mainly although some still manage to put my English to shame), posting relevant and useful information in the right quantity and formatted correctly, civil and polite conduct. The only semi-obscure policy is around top posting - I only participate in two areas on mailing lists, Gentoo and an IRC Security mailing list. The latter is low traffic. I don't have a great deal of mailing list experience so top vs bottom posting was a new one for me. People are often quick (and usually polite in doing so) to point out that top posting is not the way we do things here, if and when someone does it.
29
30 David "it's 6pm ... why am I still at work...." Nelson
34 djn
35
36 I do not represent anyone else in emails I send to this list.
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list