From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] prelink on AMD64 with no "--conserve-memory"
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:02:31
1 (I originally posted this on gmane.linux.gentoo.amd64, but even though
2 GMane authorized me to post there, my posts don't get through. So I'm
3 reposting it here.)
4
5 Usually, when prelinking a system, it's recommended to use prelink's
6 "-m" (or "--conserve-memory") option:
7
8 When assigning addresses to libraries, allow overlap of
9 address space slots provided that the two libraries are
10 not present together in any of the binaries or libraries.
11 This results in a smaller virtual address space range used
12 for libraries. On the other hand, if prelink sees a
13 binary during incremental prelinking which puts together
14 two libraries which were not present together in any other
15 binary and were given the same virtual address space slots,
16 then the binary cannot be prelinked. Without this option,
17 each library is assigned a unique virtual address space
18 slot.
19
20 But on AMD64, virtual address space is virtually unlimited (or at least
21 "very huge"). Are there any drawbacks in not using "-m" on AMD64?