From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Smartd
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:53:12
1 On Donnerstag 23 Oktober 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
2 > Probably not strictly a Gentoo issue, but as i am running Gentoo I'll see
3 > if the collective knowledge here can help me!
4 >
5 > I have a strange problem with my server. All the hard drives go to sleep
6 > after ~3hrs of inactivity. BUT if they happen to still be asleep when the
7 > scheduled smart check takes place you can hear it 'spin up' and just before
8 > you know the drive is 'up' smartd decides the drive isn't smart capable and
9 > gives up. I get log entries in 'messages' and dmesg and also smartd emails
10 > me to tell me the drive isn't smart capable.
11 >
12 > You get the same result if you do -a on a sleeping drive... it says the
13 > drive isn't capable.. run it again.. and Bob's your uncle. Any clues? Can
14 > you vary the time before it tries after a spin up?
15 >
17 > N: Jon Hardcastle
18 > E: Jon@×××××××××××.com
19 > '..Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are
21
22 I am not sure what your problem really is - but why don't you exclude the
23 drivers in /etc/conf.d/smartd?