From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Basic Vmware setup
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:06:41
1 On 11/11/06, Hans de Hartog <dehartog@××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > Due to circumstances beyond my control I have
6 > to run (once a month) Windows (98 or 2000) :-(
7 >
8 > I guess that vmware can do the job. In windows
9 > I need internet access with IE and I must be
10 > able to print some webpages to a printserver
11 > (gentoo+cups).
12 > What to use? Vmware server, workstation or
13 > player? The descriptions are not clear about
14 > the differences.
15 > I'm running Linux 2.6.17.13 (vanilla-sources)
16 > on i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz with
17 > 768 Mb and only stable stuff.
18 >
19 > Thanks in advance!
20 > Hans.
21 > --
22 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
25 If all you're using is IE and printing, you maybe be able to just run IE
26 under wine. See: ies4linux, http://www.tatanka.com.br/ . There isn't an
27 ebuild for it, but one isn't needed anyways. The browser functions fine
28 under wine (ie7 works too, but you don't get the fancy interface, just the
29 new engine), but I don't have a printer, so have yet to test printer
30 functionality.
33 - Mark Shields