From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-libs/db & dev-lang/php dependency problem...
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:07:04
1 On Wednesday 04 November 2009 09:54:07 Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 06:56:17PM +0200, Jarry wrote:
3 > > # emerge --depclean
4 >
5 > <...>
6 >
7 > > * In order to avoid breakage of link level dependencies, one or more
8 > > * packages will not be removed. This can be solved by rebuilding the
9 > > * packages that pulled them in.
10 > > *
11 > > * sys-libs/db-4.6.21_p4 pulled in by:
12 > > * dev-lang/php-5.2.10
13 > > *
14 >
15 > "depclean" says it won't clean the db package because of a php
16 > dependency. I _guess_ it comes from the "berkdb" use flag of php.
17 >
18 > > I repeated it a few times, still the same. So what can I do more
19 > > to fix it?
20 >
21 > I you're sure you don't need db, you could try to remove it by hand and
22 > see if 'emerge php' want reinstall it. I think you should use quickpkg
23 > or demerge before everything else.
26 I have a similar recurring problem and simply rebuilding packages does not
27 help. In my case it's caused by a package linking to a library which is not in
28 DEPEND. (Yes, this has broken policy on how to do these things). The result is
29 that the portage dependency tree says the library can be removed, but ldd says
30 otherwise. Sometimes you have to put the library in world
31
32 If you run ldd on the php binaries, what do you can with regard to db?
33 db is also slotted, what does "eix -e db" say?
36 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com