From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] corefonts being depcleaned?
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 01:41:49
1 Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 19 May 2010, at 23:14, David W Noon wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, 19 May 2010 22:30:03 +0200, Dale wrote about Re: [gentoo-user]
6 >> corefonts being depcleaned?:
7 >>
8 >> [snip]
9 >>> Yea, it has times, ariel and a few others that I use a lot so it has
10 >>> to stay. I was going to try without it but I use those a lot. Ariel
11 >>> is really good for me to read with these old glasses.
12 >>
13 >> Arial is simply the TrueType clone of Helvetica ...
16 > Helvetica (in red) overlaid with Arial (in blue):
17 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arial_Helvetica_overlay2.svg
18 >
19 > "Though nearly identical to Linotype Helvetica in both proportion and
20 > weight (see figure), the design of Arial is in fact a variation of
21 > Monotype Grotesque, ... Subtle changes and variations were made to
22 > both the letterforms and the spacing between characters, in order to
23 > make it more readable on screen and at various resolutions."
24 >
25 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arial
26 >
27 > Stroller.
31 My old eyes are right. They are pretty close. Almost a copy. Shhhh,
32 don't tell anyone. They may try to sue each other. ;-)
33
34 Dale
35