From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup questions
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 11:42:28
1 On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 06:55:05 -0400,
2 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 >
4 > Am 09.08.18 um 18:52 schrieb Wols Lists:
5 >
6 > > May I suggest using btrfs for your backup drive?
7 >
8 > I like btrbk:
9 >
10 > https://github.com/digint/btrbk
11 >
12 > I run btrfs as main filesystem on 3 systems (2 laptops, 1 main desktop)
13 > and so far I am not looking back.
14 >
15 > -> btrbk snapshots to local subvolumes ("time machine") + pulling btrbk
16 > backups to external disks + btrbk backups to another server.
17 >
18 > Works fine for me.
19 >
20 > -
21 >
22 > Another solution I use at customers:
23 >
24 > amanda backups to so-called vtapes, virtual tapes = directories on 2 or
25 > more usb-disks. As soon as you have the setup done, you get rotated
26 > backups to those directories, incrementals and fulls mixed via amanda's
27 > algorithm. OK, a bit of a learning curve, but you won't avoid that anywhere.
31 I use sanoid/syncoid to back up using zfs. Its great, keeps snapshots
32 for as long as I want them (I use 80 days for now). And it keeps
33 hourlies for the last couple of days as well, so I could roll back in
34 case of a problem. Very nice if you use zfs. I don't think btrfs is
35 ready for prime time -- its been under development for a while, but I
36 am scared to use it -- I did try once, but got nowhere.
39 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
40 How do
41 you spend it?
42
43 John Covici wb2una