From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seagate ST8000NM0065 PMR or SMR plus NAS SAS SATA question
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 07:44:53
1 According to this URL this drive claims to use perpendicular recording, so it
2 is probably a PMR drive.
3
4 https://www.disctech.com/Seagate-ST8000NM0045-8TB-SATA-Hard-Drive
5
6 This finding is reinforced in this URL:
7
8 https://www.disctech.com/Seagate-ST8000NM0045-8TB-SATA-Hard-Drive
12 On Sunday, 10 May 2020 07:54:38 BST Dale wrote:
13 > Howdy,
14 >
15 > I found a deal. It's open box but it's a good price. I've googled to
16 > try to find out if it is PMR or SMR but I can't find anything that says
17 > one way or another. I did find where it says it has a sustained
18 > throughput of 249MB/Sec which makes me think it is PMR, plus it is a
19 > NAS/SAS drive. Does anyone know for sure if it is a PMR drive? It's a
20 > good price at $150 but I'd like to avoid a SMR drive if at all possible.
21 >
22 > Also, I looked at the connector and it looks like a regular SATA
23 > connector for the data and power. However, it does say it is a SAS
24 > drive. I thought SAS had a different connector but maybe I'm wrong
25 > about that. These SAS drives will connect to a regular SATA connector
26 > right? I'm thinking it will but don't need a $150 doorstop. :/
27 >
28 > Thanks to anyone who can share some info. Let's hope that drive isn't
29 > gone before I can find out if it works or not.
30 >
31 > Dale
32 >