From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To all IPv6-slackers among the Gentoo community
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 16:24:32
1 On 26/11/19 15:16, Dale wrote:
2 > Adam Carter wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 1:53 AM Ralph Seichter <abbot@×××××××××××.net
4 >> <mailto:abbot@×××××××××××.net>> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/ripe-list/2019-November/001712.html
7 >>
8 >> This does not come as a surprise, of course, but I consider it a good
9 >> point in time to pause and ask oneself what each individual can do to
10 >> move further towards IPv6. The end is neigh(ish).
13 >> Turning on ipv6 has been on my agenda for a while, but I will need to
14 >> setup a firewall. Currently i have a single ipv4 NAT box with some
15 >> port forwards. However, when i enable v6, all my internal hosts become
16 >> directly routable from the Internet via the /56 my ISP assigns me.
19 > I have a question about this. I've read about this for ages and sort of
20 > get the idea, running out of numbers basically. There's two questions
21 > that I can't answer tho. I have a old Linksys router, the old blue
22 > thing that is so common. Would I have to buy a new router? I also have
23 > a older DSL modem, it's a old Westell black box. Would this require a
24 > newer modem as well? I'm thinking those boxes would have to have
25 > software at least that would support the newer addresses but nothing
26 > I've read really answers those questions. I don't know if they even
27 > update software on those old things.
28 >
29 Go into the admin screen on the router. Look at where you configure
30 IPv4, and see if there's a section on configuring IPv6.
31
32 If that's not there, then you need a firmware upgrade, which may or may
33 not be available, or you might be able to install Open-WRT or whatever
34 it's called now.
35
36 Cheers,
37 Wol